"When I begin to doubt my ability to work the word, I simply read another writer and know I have nothing to worry about. My contest is only with myself, to do it right, with power, and force, and delight, and gamble." 
— Charles Bukowski

Friday, September 12, 2008

Grassroots

Thank you to everyone that read and commented on my first post. It was a very warm welcome. Everybody seemed to enjoy the poems, which is fantastic.

I just finished up everything to do with my chapbook that I'll be self-publishing. I'll be putting the final manuscript together over the weekend, and Tuesday or Wednesday I'll go get about 75 copies made. If you'd like a copy, leave me a comment and let me know. I'll be selling them for 5 dollars, and we can figure out someway to get it to you, whether it be through mail or in person.

If you like the book, or this blog, please recommend it to your friends. I really believe strongly in DIY ethics and independant art, and this is about as grassroots as it gets. An easy way to rec me or show the blog to your friends is to post this banner that I made onto your myspace or website.
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!


Here's the code for it, just remove the asterisks(There's four of them).

If you're posting it to Myspace:
<*a href="http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vRXJla3NtaXRoLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbQ==" target="_blank"><*img src="http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1956/mybanner48ca23289f387bu0.jpg" alt='Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!' border="0" /><*/a><*br />

If you're posting it to another website:
<*a href="http://ereksmith.blogspot.com" target="_blank"><*img src="http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/1956/mybanner48ca23289f387bu0.jpg" alt='Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!' border="0" /><*/a><*br />

I wrote this poem tonight, it will probably appear in the second chapbook that I'm putting together currently. I hope you guys like it.

Glamour

She sat indian style in the floor of her room
flipping through the pages of magazines she'd gotten
at the grocery store while shopping
with her mom. Her homework wasn't done
but this was far more important.
She got up and checked herself out
in the mirror on the wall.
Then she looked back to the magazine.
Then back to the mirror.
Then back to the magazine.
Then back to the mirror.
She noticed pimples she'd never seen before.
Moles, wrinkles, crows feet, fat pockets, split ends,
all of these things had been hiding from her.
She quickly went to get scissors and
cut out pictures of the fabulous women
in the magazine. She taped one picture
to the mirror, then stood and looked at her
reflection next to it.
She taped another picture to the mirror.
Then another. And another. And another.
She furiously taped pictures to the mirror
until she couldn't see herself at all.

5 comments:

Nathan Morris said...

nice work.

hey man. send me that picture and what you want on a banner and i will make you one so it won't have the advertisement on it. for reals. othernathan@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Is it strange that I thought of your sister when I read this? I'm thinking maybe not...

Jenny said...

here lies the aforementioned (promised) comment.

love it.

Anonymous said...

greeeat. someone was watching me.

loved it.

Anonymous said...

This is great stufff man. let me know when the book is ready and I'll definatly get a copy.