"When I begin to doubt my ability to work the word, I simply read another writer and know I have nothing to worry about. My contest is only with myself, to do it right, with power, and force, and delight, and gamble." 
— Charles Bukowski

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Decline

The Decline

How did we get here
so fast?
In less than
a hundred years time
we went from
punk rock
to
Myspace
from
the greatest generation
to
the "I'm the greatest" generation
from
a lost generation
to
a generation lost.
Gone are
cafes of artists
discussing society
and
writing letters
to one another
instead we have
text messages of
"oh my god
like
whatever"
and
kids throwing out Shakespeare
to make room for
Chuck Palahniuk
and books filled with
dollar store words
as deep as
a birdbath.
What caused
such rapid atrophy?
Cliff's Notes
television
text messaging
Myspace
Facebook
every shortcut you took
every book you didn't read
every girl you tried to impress
every boy you thought you had to
dumb yourself down for
every escape you took
instead of dealing with your
fucking life
and
if you think
I'm talking to you;
I am.

oh my god
like
whatever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like it.
it kinda hit me a little.

Anonymous said...

yes. yes yes! natalie

Jenny said...

I love it. It hit me, too, and it also made me laugh. So I'm not sure how to feel, except I know that it's true. All of it.

Unknown said...

Depressing, but genius. You should really post that one up on flyers around town or something. Maybe somebody will recognize themselves in your poem and do something about it.